Which Drug Are You Concerned About?
At Gelber & O’Connell, LLC, we serve as your local representation, walking with you every step of the way. Working in conjunction with well-respected firms handling national mass tort claims, we advocate for clients who have been injured by a wide variety of unsafe drugs, including:
- Johnson & Johnson Talcum Baby Powder – Two significant verdicts ($72 and $55 million) were rendered against Johnson & Johnson in 2016 and helped women to learn that genital use of talcum powder can lead to ovarian cancer. Internal documents show Johnson & Johnson was well aware of this for decades but took actions to keep this information from becoming public. Talc particles can travel to the ovaries and cause an imflammatory process which triggers an endometrial cancer.
- Proton Pump Inhibitors Causing Kidney Failure – These popular prescription and over-the-counter medicines for gastroesophageal reflux (GERD) such as Nexium, Prevacid and Priolosec have been directly linked to acute interstitial neprhitis, acute renal disease and chronic kidney failure. Less dangerous other medications are available. Your doctor may not be aware that kidney damage is a potential side effect. A major concern is that some of the kidney symptoms may not be felt until irreversible kidney damage has been done. Chronic kidney disease leads to dialysis and ultimately the need for a kidney transplant.
- Taxotere Breast Cancer Drug – Taxotere is a blockbuster drug used to treat breast cancer and which is now associated with a high rate of permanent hair loss. However, until recently, women in the U.S. were assured that hair loss was temporary. Studies show that permanent alopecia may reach 10% or more. For certain cancers, there were other alternatives without permanent hair loss. If you have significant hair loss after using this drug for more than six months, it may have been cause by the drug.
- Pradaxa/Xarelto – Sometimes anticoagulants, commonly known as blood thinners, are prescribed for people with heart conditions or to reduce the risk of stroke and blood clots. But in practice, the newest of these types of drugs, although easier to administer and monitor, may actually raise the risk of severe and uncontrollable bleeding, leading to death. With older anticoagulants, such as Warfarin and Coumadin, Vitamin K could be administered to clot the blood in an emergency situation, however, to date there is no antidote to help the blood coagulate with these newer drugs when a serious bleed occurs.
- Risperdal – Antipsychotic drugs used to treat conditions such as schizophrenia or bipolar disorder can have terrible side effects in young men. The most prominent of these side effects is breast growth, clinically known as gynecomastia, which can require surgery to correct.
- Testosterone Supplements – Many lawsuits have been filed in the last few years over injuries caused to men who have taken testosterone supplements or used testosterone gels. Complications can include an increased risk of heart attack, stroke, blood clots and even prostate cancer.
We also handle cases involving many other types of unsafe and dangerous drugs. If you have concerns about a particular medication, give us a call with any questions.