Herschel Gelber is a seasoned trial lawyer who, for more than 30 years, has been dedicated to excellence in the practice of law. He draws on his experience as both a plaintiff’s attorney and former defense attorney – and as a champion of the rights of the injured – to achieve million and multi-million dollar recoveries for his clients.
Mr. Gelber began his legal career in New York City as a trial lawyer responsible for defending major corporations, doctors, owners of commercial property and insurance companies in motor vehicle accident, product liability, professional malpractice and construction site accident litigation. In 1987, he moved to Buffalo and joined the law firm of Gross, Shuman, Brizdle and Gilfillian, P.C. As both an associate and later as a partner, he successfully prosecuted major lawsuits involving medical malpractice, construction site accidents, product liability, motor vehicle accidents and wrongful death on behalf of injured victims and their families.
In 1994, Mr. Gelber teamed up with former New York State Supreme Court Justice Frank R. Bayger and founded the law firm of Frank R. Bayger, P.C. As managing shareholder and senior trial lawyer, Mr. Gelber handled the largest cases in the firm, while continuing his successful representation of injured victims and their families. In the latter part of 1998, Frank R. Bayger, P.C. merged with Lipsitz, Green, Fahringer, Roll, Salisbury and Cambria, LLP and Mr. Gelber became a partner in that firm’s personal injury litigation department. In 2000, he formed his own law firm to address the need for skilled trial lawyers to represent injured victims and to ensure each and every client receives his personal attention. In 2010, Mr. Gelber took on a full partner, Timothy G. O’Connell, who previously was senior trial counsel at Siegel, Kelleher & Kahn. In recognition, the law firm was renamed Gelber & O’Connell, LLC.
Mr. Gelber graduated from the University of Western Ontario with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics. Following his graduation, he attended the University of Windsor’s Special Graduate Business Program, majoring in Corporate Finance. He earned his Juris Doctor from Pace University School of Law in New York.
Mr. Gelber has been recognized for his successful representation of clients by being selected for membership in Best Lawyers in America, New York State Super Lawyers and the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a select group of attorneys nationwide who have litigated numerous cases resulting in verdicts and settlements of $1 million or more.
Mr. Gelber is currently an appointed member of the Town of Amherst Traffic Safety Board. He has been recognized by the legal community by being invited annually to judge the SUNY Buffalo Law School Mediation Advocacy Competition.
Areas of Practice
- Plaintiff’s Personal Injury
- Automobile Accidents
- Construction Accidents
- Dangerous Drugs
- Defective Medical Devices
- Medical Malpractice
- Truck Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1983
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 1987
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1984
- Pace University School of Law, White Plains, New York
- University of Windsor Graduate Business, Canada
- University of Western Ontario, Canada
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America
- New York State Super Lawyers
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Town of Amherst Traffic Safety Board, Appointed Member
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Association for Justice, Member
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA), Member
- New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- WNY Affiliate of NYSTLA, Member
Past Employment Positions
- Gross, Shuman, Brizdle and Gilfillian, P.C., Partner
- Frank R. Bayger, P.C., Managing Shareholder
- Lipsitz Green Scime Cambria, LLP, Partner