The Gelber & O’Connell Experience
Your Trusted Personal Injury Law Firm
Serving Buffalo, West Seneca, Amherst, North Tonawanda, NY & the Entire WNY Area
Stephanie S. Gelber is an experienced plaintiff’s personal injury and insurance coverage lawyer, who began her career in New York City more than 35 years ago. After relocating to Western New York she became a partner in the law firm of Lustig & Brown, LLP, which concentrated its practice in several insurance specialties. She later became one of the Managing Partners at the firm. Prior to joining Gelber & O’Connell, LLC as its Managing Attorney, she additionally trained as a Mediator (in accordance with the NYS Unified Court System) and obtained her New York State Property & Casualty Insurance Consultant license.
Ms. Gelber advocates on behalf of plaintiffs in car and truck accident, dangerous drug and defective medical device cases through litigation, mediation and arbitration. She researches, analyzes and evaluates liability, damage and insurance coverage issues in personal injury and medical malpractice cases to maximize insured recoveries and, additionally, consults with other law firms on these issues. She manages the law firm, including its marketing, public relations, human resources, contract negotiations, health and retirement benefits, insurance procurement and physical plant.
Ms. Gelber graduated from the State University of New York at Stony Brook with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Psychology. She earned her Juris Doctor from New York Law School at night in 4 years while working full time as a paralegal for the Corporation Counsel of the City of New York.
Ms. Gelber is currently a member of the Board of Directors of the Better Business Bureau of Upstate New York, as well as a member of its Ethics & Standards Committee, and the Buffalo Niagara Chapter of the National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO), as well as a member of its Diversity & Inclusion Task Force. She is a former member of the Town of Amherst Planning Board, a former elected member of the Williamsville Central School District School Board, a former Co-Executive Director/Treasurer of the Miss Buffalo Scholarship Pageant Organization and a former appointed member of the Food Bank of WNY Advisory Council, the Town of Amherst Arts & Culture in Public Places Board and the Town of Amherst Minority/Women-Owned Business Committee.
Ms. Gelber has been recognized for her successful representation of clients by being selected for membership in Best Lawyers in America.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- 50% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- New York, 1984
- U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1985
- U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 1987
- New York Law School, New York, New York
- State University of New York at Stony Brook, Stony Brook, New York
Honors and Awards
- Best Lawyers in America
- Better Business Bureau of Upstate New York, Board of Directors
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO) Buffalo Niagara Chapter, Board of Directors
- Town of Amherst Planning Board, Appointed Member (former)
- Town of Amherst Arts & Culture in Public Places Board, Appointed Member (former)
- Williamsville Central School District, Elected Board Member (former)
- Food Bank of WNY Advisory Council, Appointed Member (former)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- New York State Trial Lawyers Association (NYSTLA), Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- WNY Affiliate of NYSTLA, Member
- Bar Association of Erie County
Past Employment Positions
- Lustig & Brown, LLP, Managing Partner
- Lustig & Brown, LLP, Partner